DUI Accused Pleads No Contest for Lesser Sentence but Still Sent to Prison

By Hannah Adams

MODESTO, CA — During a plea bargain hearing in Stanislaus County Superior Court Friday, Judge Dawna Reeves granted the accused a lesser sentence if he pleaded no contest—but he’s still going to prison.

On Mar. 14, 2021, the accused was charged with a felony after driving under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, causing great bodily harm to the victim.

In light of a special allegation and other enhancements, the accused admitted his blood alcohol content level was more than 0.05, which impaired his driving ability, leading to great bodily harm. In exchange, other charges were dropped and he received a lesser sentence.

The accused accepted the plea bargain and pleaded no contest to the driving under the influence charge. 

Judge Reeves ordered a sentence of four years and four months in state prison with parole for three years following his release.

The accused agreed to the terms and conditions of his plea bargain and requested one week to handle personal affairs before he is set to return to court to be sentenced.

Judge Reeves warned the accused that if he is to pick up any new charges during this week, it is “highly unlikely” that he will maintain the same four-year, four-month deal.

The accused and Robert Fornker, the accused’s attorney, agreed with the factual basis of the bargain and entered the accused’s no contest plea.

The accused is set to return to court on Aug. 12.

Author

• Hannah Adams

Hannah is a first-year undergraduate student at University of California, Santa Barbara. She is majoring in English and currently is involved with two campus newspapers. She is anticipating on graduating early and attending law school. She hopes to continue her passion for writing in a law-related career.

View all posts

Categories:

Breaking News Court Watch

Tags: